1. If the label has care instructions, follow them. Although most modern lace and sheer curtains can be washed by hand or on the delicate cycle in your washing machine, your curtains could be the exception.
2. If there are no care instructions, assume that your curtains should only be professionally cleaned. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
3. Organdy sheers, a type of fine, transparent muslin, are very delicate and should only be professionally cleaned.
4. To give your freshly cleaned lace or sheer curtains more body, dip them in a light starch solution (you can find some great tips on how to do this, visit http://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-sheer-curtains-stiff-again-52653.html).
5. To give your lace or sheer curtains a soft appearance, don’t use starch, and hang them while they are damp.
6. When hanging damp curtains, if you have metal hooks, slip a piece of tissue paper between the fabric and the hook until the fabric is completely dry to prevent rust stains.